We decided to dedicate one day a month to learn completely new technology, all members of our team. We called it “developer day” - it’s quite similar to DevDay in terms of that it’s meant to be a fest for us. It’s really all about learning.
Things we touched during this day are for example:
- creating a PR for AngularJS
- understanding Ionic Framework better, using it to build an app using Ionic Creator
- seeing how to create iOS 8 CocoaTouch framework (called also iOS Universal Framework)
- playing with WebSharper to create a web project
- Fullstack JS - playing with Yeogurt - React, Flux, Node, Backbone… lots of things…
- understanding ReactJS more for DevAgenda project
- having fun with FunScript - Maciek
- NancyFx with F#
- playing with Freya framework
Some of them resulted in creating workable solutions, some of them were a pure learning excercises.
I have to say - for me this experiment worked extremely well. I got excited that I can do something totally unrelated to my day to day activities. I got interested in new technology and basically learned something.
I would encourage every team to do yourself a favor and spend just one day to learn something new.
Tomorrow we’ll have a session on what we learned and of course a round of feedback on how to make it better next time.
I’ll update this post after I learn what other members of our team have achieved!